Copyright © 2010 - 2012 dasuntoucha. All Rights Reserved.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

To Post Or Not To Post...

…is the question that’s been crossing my mind a lot these days.

I’ve been writing under the name Dasuntoucha for about 4 years now and have had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with some truly talented and motivated poets, largely thru on-line writing groups and poetry boards. Recently at one of my favorite poetry spots, there was some drama with the ownership that prompted me to delete my account because quite frankly, I felt the way that the situation was being handled was totally unprofessional and underhanded. While an owner of any given board or site has the right to do what they see fit, a member has a right to do what they feel is in their best interest. I don’t harbor any ill will toward anyone involved, but I made a personal vow back in 2007 not to solicit any writing community where the ownership is in any way, shape, or form is deceitful or disrespectful to those who help facilitate the day to day operations, because 9 times out of 10 it is their commitment that ensures writers keep coming back.

Even though some of my work has been published in a few literary journals and poetic anthologies, it is the joy of being able to read and share with others, whether novice or pro, that I have come to cherish. I guess I’m like that playground basketball player that should be playing in the pros but laces up his shoes and plays not for fortune or fame but for the sheer LOVE of the game. It’s picking the right court to scribe on that makes all the difference.

And in that regard I have been blessed.

I started out here with an outstanding ensemble of writers when Tom’s space was the place to be, then moved on to this community where I encountered some of the best undiscovered writers I’ve ever read, while also witnessing the pain one person’s maniacal ego can cause. But luckily, a large amount of the talent from that board moved here to what I consider my TRUE poetic home. It was only out of searching for other writing spots to expand my horizons that I was able to find this place which was as advertised, the hottest, realest, most active black poetry spot on the web. Here I made connections with what I would like to consider life-long writing comrades.

I will never forget the relationships I forged with poets and writers from these various boards…they are some truly gifted people driven not by ego but an unadulterated LOVE of words.

As we know, the writing life can be a solitary endeavor, but at least on-line if you choose to, you can post with crew…just choose where you post wisely.

6 comments:

  1. Blessings Dasun,
    I'm so glad you have this place to share your masterpieces....
    I feel u much on the posting thing....seems like some have forgotten about y they got into poetry in the first place...then again...maybe they haven't.....maybe they got into it for reasons other than loving the essence of it
    I for one love it and will always respect it...so I'm looking forward to continuing to read your beautiful words where ever they may be....
    Blessings to you always hon....
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm truly diggin your thoughts... I've been wrestling with the same question for a little bit now. I'm glad I can still read your ink...looking forward to your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by ladies...you are TRUE comrades in ink...got nuthin' but madd LOVE and respect for y'alls talents...ONE::

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim (aka to you as babygirl)May 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM

    i feel awfully special that i was a part of the place you call your poetry home. that makes me feel really good! you are wonderfully talent and i'm just glad that you have decided to share your writing again -- period. you are an inspiration to me! --babygirl (kim)

    ReplyDelete
  5. True talent stands out and shines no matter where it is displayed and You are definitely a true talent. I have always seen your writing as a Blessing and feel blessed to have come to know you as a poet. Much love to you SunToucha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwww. Thug Hugs!!
    I have sooo much respect and admiration
    for your pen and your talent
    Ur work is simply genius.
    Faithfully.
    And I think you wholeheartedly for creating this place that I may have somewhere to find those words of urs that I have grown to love...

    even if its 1:30 in the morning on a Wednesday. :-)

    ReplyDelete