Copyright © 2010 - 2012 dasuntoucha. All Rights Reserved.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Fixed Poetry Form: The Pantoum

Okay in this post I’ll be dealing with one of my favorite fixed poetry forms, the Pantoum. Why is the Pantoum a favorite of mine you may ask?…because it challenges one to convey meaning with repeating lines and has an ending that brings the poem full circle.

It uses four line stanzas with lines two and four of the previous stanza becoming lines one and three of the next stanza. For the ending stanza, you take lines one and three of the first stanza and combine them with lines two and four of the stanza before it. Sounds confusing right? No sweat…this is what the form looks like with alphabets representing each line:

A (line 1)
B (line 2)
C (line 3)
D (line 4)

B (2nd line of first stanza becomes the 1st of the new stanza)
E
D (4th line of first stanza becomes the 3rd line of the new stanza)
F

E (2nd line of second stanza becomes the 1st on the new stanza)
G
F (4th line of second stanza becomes the 3rd line of the new stanza)
H

G (2nd line of the previous stanza)
A (1st line of the 1st stanza)
H (4th line of the previous stanza)
C (3rd line of the 1st stanza)

You can add as many stanzas as you like, just remember the second and fourth lines of the previous stanza will always be the first and the third of the next stanza. As for the ending, you can switch the position of lines one and three having the poem close on the same line that it opened. That is the ending I’ll be using for this piece I call:

All Seeing Blindness

As Big Brother’s eyes see all
we waltz thru life in a haze.
The reality of others now enthralls,
broadcasted upon a 60 inch digital stage.

We waltz thru life in a haze,
destined towards social cataclysm,
broadcasted upon a 60 inch digital stage,
as numbness replaces social activism.

Destined towards social cataclysm,
high definition worship sets the soul ablaze.
As numbness replaces social activism,
broadcasted upon a 60 inch digital stage.

High definition worship sets the soul ablaze,
the reality of others now enthralls,
broadcasted upon a 60 inch digital stage,
as Big Brother’s eyes see ALL.


© 2009, 2010 dasuntoucha

8 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful poem! And thank you for introducing me to this form...I'm about to try my hand at it. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, kind of confusing, but oh so powerful! I may try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting way of writing. It sure does bring the poem full circle. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the style and I like the use of "Big Borther". Its a great poem and one day if we are really adventurous this could be a good prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I recently stumbled upon your blog, and i really like it. I'm kind of new to poetry. I tried to make a Pantoum as well, which you can read here: http://balsvincent.wordpress.com

    I would be grateful if you could have a quick look at it and give your view on it!

    Keep up the good work,

    Vincent

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 60 inch stage has infected our society. We are forever corrupted by its immeasurable lure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great expression poet. I love this form, I have written two in this style in the past. I went through this stage where I had to explore every form known to poetry. I see you are a true lover of the art. Very, very nice. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Dasuntoucha,
    Just to add, the pantoum originated from the 15th century pantun berkait from peninsula Malaya. It made its way to French high society in the 17th century as Pantoum.

    For some info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantun

    For my pantun, if you care to:
    http://pantundanselokaninotaziz.blogspot.com/

    Books by Francois Rene Daillie demonstrates further.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete